Pages

Saturday, January 2

Push-Me Pull-You



Palindrome (pāl'ĭn-drōm')

A word, phrase, verse, or sentence that reads the same backward or forward.

Origin: 1620–30; from Gk. palindromos "a recurrence," lit. "a running back," from palin "again, back" + dromos "a running."

In elementary school we read a story called Hannah is a Palindrome and everyone in the class just paused for a moment, looked at me and declared, "Elle! Your name is a palindrome too!" Thanks guys. Due to the backwards and forewards nature of my first name I'd always known the word, but it was the first time most of them had heard it I guess. Anyway, I appreciate the flexibility of my name letters and I enjoy the fact that todays date is the same. And that's your word lesson for the day.

Today's date is a palindrome. Happy 01-02-2010
(Oh and for those who are interested, I finished Wuthering Heights today! To DIE for! Such an original story! I kind of felt like people were continually dying everywhere and I can't figure out why Ellen Dean made it so long, probably just to make sure the story was all told with her bias. Poor poor wild and tormented Heathcliff. I was on team Hareton the entire time. Don't go into it expecting a love story like I did. All though it is a love story in the most tragic and deranged way. Next up: East of Eden by John Steinbeck)

No comments: