When my purse looks like this I consider it the beginning of a great night. And girls my purse don't lie!
I work at a health club and a member who comes in to work out every day had been telling me about these incredible black bean brownies she'd had at a party. I'd heard of "special ingredient" brownies before, but never ones where the green in them was avocado! For freak out Friday (we watch horror movies and scream really really loud) with my friend Lorraine we decided we should try baking something at least semi healthy.
We modified the recipe that I was given because there were several inconsistencies in the directions (ingredients listed but not in the actual recipe?). I'll include the frosting recipe but it wasn't our favorite. It didn't taste bad...it mostly didn't taste like anything. I'm sure more cocoa powder would have helped that but we were already on cocoa overdose!
Black Bean Brownies with Avocado Frosting
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 15oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 Tbs vanilla
3/4 stick of softened butter (or butter substitute)
1 egg (or 4 1/2 tsp egg replacer)
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp warm water
1/4 ripe avocado
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, bkg pwder, bkg soda, and cocoa powder.
3. Use a food processor or blender to liquefy the beans
4. In mixer or large bowl combine beans, sugar, water, vanilla, and egg.
5. In small batches add the dry ingredients to the wet. Pour into pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until they begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
For the frosting mix all ingredients in a small bowl with a hand mixer. We just made it in a blender. Spread that gooey crap all over your super dark and fiber filled brownies. TRY to keep yourself from eating them all. Good luck!
Then you'll end up with crazy high energy and laugh ridiculously about this picture!