Pages

Tuesday, January 18

Movie Night

I wish I had an imaginary friend as faithful as Captain Excellent. Over 40 years of dedication. 


I never even had an imaginary friend that I can remember. The closest thing was a horse that I tied to a pear tree when it was time to come in for dinner.  That horse didn't even have a name. 

Isn't this the kind of thing that every imaginative person is supposed to look back on and laugh about? The adventures they had with the companion that was always there when we needed them? I didn't even have siblings until I was 7, but I guess my own personality must have been enough for myself to handle. 

Now I don't think I'm even lamenting the lack of an imaginary friend right now, but more of a character connection.  I rented the movie Paper Man because I've had this undying amount of fandom for Emma Stone since House Bunny.  And Ryan Reynolds is never a bad thing on screen either.  I was extremely surprised with how much I liked this film, especially since it has a terrible rating on Rotten Tomatoes (but then again, since when has the general public ever had good taste?).  It is more than a story of a weird man with social issues and his unorthodox friendship with a teenage girl (don't worry, there is no funny business).  I think it really shows what it means to be a friend and care about a person, no matter what.  The relationship that Richard and Abby form helps them both to combat serious mental blocks that they can't face without support.


So in a way I guess it's a good thing that I never had an imaginary friend, at least in the way that this movie portrays them.  Then again, I think that it is healthy to have another side to ourselves that we can only understand, something personal, something safe.

Also, this is becoming a trend.

No comments: