Pages

Saturday, April 9

Chocolate + Nutella = Heaven

These photos made me do it!


I was asked to bring either a salad or a dessert to break the fast tomorrow and my first thought was "Nutella frostinggggggggg!!!" I didn't really like the recipes from either of those links and both cake recipes had coffee in them so I set off to create my own! The last attempt I made at cake from scratch turned out as red velvet playdough so I turned to the always reliable Pioneer Woman. At least I assume she's always reliable since she's so popular. I've never tried any of her recipes before. 
Her chocolate sheet cake just came out of the oven in two 9'' cake pans (they took about 40 minutes, she says 20 min when its on a baking sheet). They look divine and probably edible! It's out of the oven and cooled and I will now add that instead of 4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder I'd make it an even 6. And a half. Plus a little. But the heaping 4 is really good too!
I'm also using a frosting recipe from her website called That's The Best Frosting I've Ever Had. And it's going to be even better because I added about 3/4 of a cup of Nutella during the first step! It's a little odd because it starts like you're mixing a white sauce, milk and flour. Who ever thinks flour when they're making frosting? Not I! Well we'll see if it is just as divine as she claims it is! And hopefully the added hazelnuty chocolate goodness doesn't ruin it!

Might as well have gotten one of these

Some changes when making the frosting:
I used 1 1/2 cups of milk and 7 TBS of flour. I then mixed in 3/4 of a cup of Nutella.  I didn't remember to double the butter and sugar but I figured that some of that would be evened out from the Nutella added in. It is a  very very very soft frosting! I refrigerated the frosted cake over night before serving it. When it is cold it holds up really well. Oh yeah, and using more milk meant that there was about 2 cups of frosting leftover, so now I'll have to make something else for it to go on! (or use my finger?)

2 comments:

Alicia said...

The first time I had Nutella was in Japan. I was participating in a homestay exchange and the family I was staying with pulled out Nutella to put on their toastfor breakfast. I had no idea what it was because the label was in Japanese, but I thought, "How cool is this?! They put chocolate frosting on toast!"

Unknown said...

Mmm! What a fantastic encounter it is!